Sunday, January 17, 2010

v 5 issue 26: Teach Me

tot trends weekly


This issue is full of products to help develop essential early learning skills through play using imagination and creativity.


Cover by Kate Callahan








tot trends weekly

1 The Onaroo Teach Me Time Clock from American Innovative educates children on the relationship between analog and digital time by incorporating both time telling systems onto one clock face. Added highlights include a cool bubble design, a glowing nightlight, and a built in alarm to teach the kiddos to get up and go on their own. Enter code: TOTTW20 for 20% off your pre-order of the Teach Me Time thru 1/31/10.

2 When everything in the world is broken down into simplistic shapes, a child really can be enticed to draw just about anything. In the Art House, visuals of animation are blended with energetic music and a spunky art-loving teacher. The end result is a fun-filled DVD with the ability to spark the inner Picasso of any child. Offering a special price for our readers thru 1/31. $15 per DVD and/or buy 2 get 1 free.

3 Tessy & Tab's Money Management Kit breaks down concepts of money management into a 7-step program parents can teach to their children. By keeping the responsibilities of both children & parents simple, kid-oriented financial goals can be easily attained. Each kit includes 3 Tessy & Tab books, a 3 part bank, charts and tools to enhance learning, and a parent guide. Enter code: TOT TRENDS for 2 free issues with purchase.

4 Teach My Toddler is the all-in-one teaching system designed for toddlers aged 18 months and up. This package includes 17 teaching tools to help toddlers master the basics; alphabet, numbers, shapes and colors. Everything needed to reinforce and teach the basic skills to toddlers. It's fun, coordinated educational play.

5 Dive into potty training with the help of the Potty Tots. Through song, dance, video, and charts, children will be on their way to learning the 6 steps of potty training with a Potty Tot friend of their choice. This system works so well because it is built around a toddler's spirit of independence...and the DVD has some really catchy sing-alongs to make the potty seem like a party. Email: jill[at]pottytots.com for a Free Potty Tots Potty Chart of your choice with purchase.

6 No one is better than Barney when it comes to whipping up a snappy jingle to get the family on a joint venture of learning. Barney: Please & Thank You skillfully delivers the basics of manners. Kids will love to sing along. Parents will be thankful for the breakdown of the basics!

7 If the World Were a Village, the best-selling and award winning book, is available in a DVD version of equal intensity. When you take a world populated with six billion and reduce it to a village of just 100, the result is a unique global representation of what the Earth has to offer...an amazing array of the sights, sounds, tastes, and beliefs of a truly multi-cultural world.

8 The insights of speech, music, and art therapy are integrated into each animated DVD of Kidwinks resulting in an intelligent speech development video for the young. With repetition and fun music, the DVD visually enhances children's vocabulary with simple words through sound, movement, and sign language. Use code: TTW in notes and Email: kylelundberg[at]mac.com for $5 off via PayPal.


Your Funny Kids
Kids say the funniest things, don't they? You sent us your funny kids' sayings and we had to share!

tot trends weekly Hey there! Here is a shot of my adorable baby errrr, I mean toddler girl Sophia! My brother had come over to show off his new motorcycle one day. He took his tools out to work on it a bit. Sophia was right next to me, but she is a sneaky little thing! I was chatting with my brother & noticed ms. s was no longer right next to me. I turned around, and what do I see? Sophia had picked up the tools & started "working" on uncle Josh's motorcycle herself! Thank goodness I had my camera!!!
-submitted by Rachel


My 3rd grade daughter finished dressing for school this morning, in the clothes I set out for her before she woke. Afterward, she approached me with a frown on her face claiming, “This outfit doesn't go together. Orange and pink don't match." I assured her that it looked fine. She stomped back down the hall toward her room. She returned a few minutes later and claimed, In an FYI toned disposition, "I'm sure that my friends will be kicking me out of their club today...because of my terrible sense of fashion." I wanted to laugh so badly but instead, I followed my motherly instinct and replied, "You don't go to school to join clubs, you go to learn." I still snicker inside, when I think about her statement.
-submitted by Dawna

tot trends weekly

Here is my funny photo... my 2 year old daughter Macy snuck into my bathroom and decided to be like daddy... I think she was trying to prep to "shave". It was sooo stinkin' cute! I just have to share it with you!
-submitted by Nicole



My 6 year old came home from kindergarten one day to tell me that his teacher told him that hamburgers come from cows. My first thought was, oh no he is not ready to know that we eat animals. He says, "mommy that is silly, cows can't poop hamburgers."
-submitted by Janah


My four year old daughter was fighting over a toy with her two year old sister. After the tears were dried and "sorrys" were exchanged, she looked at me and said very seriously, "Can I have a boy sister instead?"
-submitted by Sherry


My children are ages 22 months and nine years old. This summer we had a bee hive under the steps of our back door and my 22 month old was attacked and stung several times. Needless to say he is now afraid of bees and we are very protective of him when he is outside that he does not get stung again. My nine year old Wyatt and 22 month old Jordan were outside eating on the patio when Wyatt began to scream for me. When I ran out there he said, "Help me Jordan is about to get pollunated by the bees". I laughed until I cried and then had to explain to him what pollination is and what bees do.
-submitted by Lindsay


tot trends weekly I think every day if you have children is a new adventure and a new chapter to be written. Eli is now turning a year and I can truly say he is a BOY. We already have a 5 year old daughter who enjoys being a big sister and teaches him a lot of things not always good things though. The other day I was doing laundry and I hear very loud giggles I go and check and Josephine gave Eli her lunch which was peanutbutter bread ... OMG it was everywhere but I still hear her laughter and see the smile in Eli's face. I got my camera right away and took a photo this is a wonderful memory to keep. Oh I love them so much.
-submitted by Melanie


My 5yr old sweet son, Brandon know's I love the show 20/20...so the other day it was on and he said, 'hey mommy, 50/50 is on!" LOL I laughed soooo hard!
-submitted by Paula

We love hearing about and seeing your funny kids...submit your kid's comment or photo to contact@tottrendsweekly.com


Understanding a Child with ADHD
tot trends weekly If you have a child diagnosed with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder you may feel like you are the only person in the word going through it. You may be frustrated, feel hopeless and ready to throw your hands up in the air. A child with ADHD is challenging, that is a fact, but you don't have to feel alone in the fight. There are many parents going through the same exact thing you are and many are winning the battle and can help you help your child cope better with the disorder.

The main thing is to not blame yourself or be embarrassed about your child's condition. You need to accept the disorder first off and then learn ways in which you can deal with it and help your child to live with it, challenges and all.

ADHD can be a destructive disorder if parents who have children diagnosed with the disorder are not willing to work with a their children. The worse thing you can do is ignore the behaviors. They must be addressed to be overcome. Patience, love and support, these three things can and will get you through.

A child who has been diagnosed with ADHD is not purposefully doing anything to cause you the frustration you may feel. Deep down they want to please you as the parent by doing and saying what you want but the disorder causes them to not be able to exhibit this behavior. Instead they often act the opposite of how you want them too.

Responding to a child in positive manner will most likely help them respond in a like manner. Not always though, so it is important to remember they are not doing it on purpose. This is perhaps the most frustrating part and it can leave parents feeling hopeless.

The best way to deal with a child who is acting out because of the disorder is to find at least one thing positive in the behavior. Push them to be open about things they don't like and then offer them a solution to the issue they are unhappy with. Always praise the child and never scold them for acting in a certain way even if it causes embarrassment for you.

Try and keep a sense of humor and show your child that you are not angry but are learning to deal with the disorder just as they are. If the child sees that you are in the fight to understand and deal with the disorder with them, then they may not feel so alone.

If you have other children in the home without the disorder, it is important to educate them about the disorder so they don't take things too personally when the affected child takes something out on them. A supportive family dynamic is the most important thing you can offer a child who has ADHD.

Offering guidance to your child and to their siblings can create a better harmony within the household. This also goes for your partner. Parents raising a child with ADHD need to know how to effectively help and raise a child with ADHD. It has to be a partnership and both parents need to go through the challenges together and support one another 100%.